We’re a hard working team who believe that asylum seekers should be made to feel welcome, safe and supported while they wait for their applications for protection to be assessed.
If you are looking for a new challenge and would like to work or volunteer for an organisation that supports some of the most inspiring people you will ever meet, then we encourage you to apply for a position with us. In return, we want you to bring your professional skills, energy, commitment and compassion to our organisation. It is not essential to have prior experience in the not-for-profit sector.
If this sounds like something you want to be a part of, please check our vacancies below. You can also register as a supporter to receive volunteer opportunities via email as they arise.
Volunteer Interview Coaches
Want to put your career and life skills to work helping Asylum Seekers find work?
The Asylum Seekers Centre is looking for volunteers to work as Interview Coaches, providing one to one interview coaching and final preparation for scheduled job interviews. The Interview Coach will work with 2 to 3 job seekers each week and work closely with volunteer Job Advisors and Staff to help give our clients the best chance possible of a successful interview and employment.
Available shifts: Monday 10am – 1pm and Thursday 1pm-4pm at the ASC.
- Recruitment, HR or Coaching experience would prepare a volunteer for this position.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Review client resume and qualifications prior to the coaching session
- Review employer and role offered prior to the coaching session
- Prepare and conduct a practice interview geared to the role
- Give the client feedback and additional interview practice as needed
- Make efforts to ensure the client arrives prepared and on time for the interview
- Provide feedback to Job Advisors and staff to help improve service to clients
- Ability to advocate with employers on behalf of job seekers
- Excellent communication skills, including cross cultural sensitivity
- Willingness to develop a sound understanding of issues affecting asylum seekers within the current Australian context
Volunteers are trained and supported by the Centre’s professional staff.
Commitment: 1 day per week for 12 months – 1/2day working one-on-one with people seeking asylum at the centre, and 1/2day at home in preparation and researching jobs
How To Apply: To express your interest for any of the above roles, please send your resume and a brief blurb about yourself and how you meet the requirements of the role to email@example.com.
Closing Date: No deadline – please apply asap
Please Note: Due to our limited capacity in staffing and overwhelming number of applications received, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. We also ask for any questions and enquiries to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org rather than calling the Centre.
It is a requirement to have a valid Working with Children Check in order to begin volunteering at the Centre. This check is free for volunteers.
We thank you again for your continued support and interest in the work we do.