If I freaked out about my house or the kids’ school, I could go to the ASC. When I didn’t have anywhere else to go, they helped.
We’re here to help families seeking asylum
The Asylum Seekers Centre offers activities for families including English classes, swimming lessons, sport, arts and crafts workshops.
Families face many challenges moving to a new country, recovering from what came before and finding a supportive community.
The transition to school in a new country can be difficult for children as they learn new languages and adjust to a new culture. You may be asked to pay school fees at a public school. We are here to help.
We can also support you to make connections within your local community and with other families with children.
Our family support team can help by:
- applying for fee waivers in schools
- supply of uniforms, backpacks, stationery and school supplies
- advocating for families in conversations with school administrators
- childcare placements
- supplies for babies and toddlers
- finding ways for you to engage and connect in your community.